Bread is part of identity. In several countries there are NGO-s formed on rye or/and bread to enhance the use of rye and bread. In some countries NGO-s are more generally trying to protect biodiversity including biodiversity of grains including rye.
To focus an attention to the role of rye in ensuring food security, nutrition, feeding livestock and increase the visibility of the high potential of rye to contribute to protection of biodiversity, sustainable food systems and to the variety of its possible application, is envisaged
- establishing and developing an international network of organizations and companies dealing with various aspects of rye, such as:
- elaborating a project to raise attention to the importance of rye in terms of breeding, production, processing/transformation into a variety of rye products with ultimate aim to increase the demand and consumption of rye products by consumers.
There is an Estonian Rye Route, a network of several institutions dealing with research, cultivation, utilisation and education on rye.
Depending on nature of activity and defined target group foreseen activities shall be undertaken either on national and international level.
Activities shall secure preservation of biodiversity, to promote healthy food and nutrition, to enhance rye related research, to maintain national cultural traditions.
Rye network interest groups
Clusters of members and their roles
* governmental organisations
* legislative authorities
Tools for networking
1. Establishment of the Regional Rye Network and permanent Rye Centre.
2. Thematic events (conferences, workshops) on regional and international level.
3. Consultations on political and technical level.
4. Development of webpage to facilitate information exchange.
5. Dissemination of information (newletters, leaflets, other printed materials).